Sedation dentistry is the practice of introducing sedation to your dental procedure
Sedation dentistry is the practice of introducing sedation to your dental procedure. There are various forms of sedation that are available, as well as different levels of sedation dentistry. These various types and these different levels of sedation all have their particular benefits when chosen for different situations and procedures.
Close to 20% of American adults experience dental anxiety when you suggest they visit a dentist. Does the thought of sitting in a dental chair make your entire body tense with fear? Would you rather endure the pain of a toothache than have the problem corrected? Many people are so phobic about going to the dentist that they prefer not to have any treatment.
If you suffer from dental anxiety or dental phobia, sedation dentistry will neutralize this phenomenon. Sedation can be used for everything from invasive procedures to a simple tooth cleaning. How we use it depends on your individual situation.
The conscientious, patient, and thoughtful staff at Northside Dental share a common philosophy and that is to treat you as a person first, as a patient second. We appreciate your thoughts and feelings on your lifestyle, your overall health, your smile, comfort, time, anxiety levels, and your budget. We cover all the details in developing and implementing your personalized treatment plans. We also consider our entire office as a particularly important part of your overall health program team. Call us today at 317-848-9838 to schedule your appointment or stop in at 15026 Greyhound Ct. Carmel, IN 46032.
Refer a friend
Examination and Cleaning
The Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
The benefits of sedation dentistry are substantial. One of the biggest benefits to sedation dentistry is the reduction of any dental anxiety you might experience during your procedure. Sedation dentistry literally helps you and us remain together working in preventative maintenance mode versus reactionary. Patients will put off scheduling dental appointments because the thought of having work done provokes their anxiety. This procrastination then allows dental problems and issues to develop. Sedation dentistry can help alleviate these concerns and keep us in a proactive mode when it comes to your oral health.
Sedation dentistry will also significantly reduce or even remove your tooth and gum sensitivity, which in turn will reduce or eliminate your gag reflex.
Finally, sedation dentistry allows us to work quicker and more effectively, which means you benefit because your procedure will be completed quicker.
The Three Levels of Sedation
There are three sedation options for us to choose from, which include local anesthesia, nitrous oxide, oral sedation, and intravenous sedation. The best option for you will be dependent on the severity of the procedure being performed. We will discuss with you the several choices prior to beginning and how they will help you feel comfortable and less anxious during your appointment.
- Mild Sedation: If the goal is simply to relieve your anxiety, then this will be our preferred choice. Mild sedation minimizes your anxiety level and will also decrease the level of discomfort experienced. In some cases, it can even eliminate your pain all together.
- Medium Sedation: Medium sedation will be the better option if your projected procedure is a little more intense or invasive. During medium sedation, you are in a much deeper state of relaxation. It is not uncommon that you will even experience some amnesia from this level. If this option is used for your sedation dentistry procedure someone will need to drive you home upon completion.
- Deep Sedation: You are on the edge of consciousness yet can still be awakened.
The Different Types of Dental Sedation Available
The sedation options offered at Northside Dental can be categorized as one of two types: conscious sedation and general anesthesia. During your dental procedure using conscious sedation, your consciousness is simply depressed. With general anesthesia you are completely unconscious for the entire procedure. As a result of this state of mind you will not feel anything during the procedure, and you will have no memory of the procedure.
The methods available for us to administer the sedation to you include the following:
- Nitrous Oxide: Nitrous oxide is the mildest sedation option, the most common and easy for us to work with. The procedure for administering Nitrous Oxide involves using a mouthpiece. As the Nitrous Oxide is delivered, you will simply enter a calm and relaxed state. This process will reduce both any pain and anxiety that is associated with simpler dental procedures and has a shorter life span.
- Oral Sedation: A more intense form of sedation is Oral Sedation. This method involves the delivery of your anxiety medication to induce a state of deeper calm and relaxation within you. This orally delivered medication will last for several hours after the procedure. You will not be allowed to drive immediately following your procedure.
- IV Sedation: IV, or Intravenous Sedation, is the most intense form of sedation Northside Dental offers. During the IV Sedation, we put you into a state of unconsciousness. It will not be uncommon for you to experience some amnesia both before and after the procedure. As with the Oral Sedation procedure, you also will not be allowed to drive after the procedure.
Sedation Dentistry Might be Beneficial for these Dental Procedures
Certain procedures, such as a root canal treatment, surgical tooth extraction, implant placement, and periodontal surgery, will most likely require some level of sedation dentistry. The use of sedation for other dental procedures is oftentimes decided at the discretion of our staff. We may suggest providing sedation for procedures that may be more intensive, or we may offer to provide sedation dentistry for you if you have expressed extreme anxiety.
Your Comfort and Your Care
Our preventative approach is the biggest benefit when choosing Northside Dental. We focus on making sure your appointments are relaxing, quick and efficient. Our common team goal is simple and that we want to be the partner you trust for all your dental needs. We look forward to helping you maintain your smile and the opportunity to assist you with good preventative care. Call us today at 317-848-9838 to schedule your appointment or stop in at 15026 Greyhound Ct. Carmel, IN 46032.